How to Avoid a Cougar in Banff, Alberta
If you should find yourself face to face with a cougar, here are a few Banff Ranger recommendations:
- Never travel alone. Numbers mean greater defense.
- Don’t let your kids out of your sight; they are a tasty snack for predators.
- Be Noisy, it’s confusing and frightening for the animal.
- Keep your eyes peeled for signs of the animals.
- Carry pepper spray.
- Dogs must be kept on a leash; they can bring back unwelcome visitors.
If you are unlucky enough to come across a cougar, try not to panic and follow these instructions:
- Give the animal space to escape.
- Pick up your kids and pets. They might be tempting.
- Do not run. The cougar will always win a chase.
- If necessary, make yourself big and aggressive. Throw sticks and stones if it gets to that point.
- Keep away from cougar kittens. A frightened mother can be aggressive and irrational in any species.